Fettuccine with Sweet Peppers
Recipe Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 min Cook Time: 25 min.
12 oz dry fettuccine pasta
2 red bell peppers, julienned
3 cloves garlic, minced
¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
¾ cup chicken broth
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, spray cooking oil in a large skillet and sauté red bell peppers, garlic and cayenne pepper over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and broth; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Toss hot pasta with sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste; serve.
World’s Best Mac and Cheese
1 pound ridged tubular pasta
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups low fat or skim milk, heated at full power in microwave for 2 minutes
2 cups shredded cheddar
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. While water is heating, melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. When butter stops foaming, add flour, stirring constantly about 2 minutes. Add mustard, and stir until completely mixed.
- Make sure the milk is hot. Slowly whisk in hot milk, then stir constantly over medium heat until bubbly, thickened, and smooth. Reduce heat, and add shredded cheese in 3 batches, waiting until the previous batch is thoroughly melted before adding the next. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Boil pasta in salted water until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 min. If you’re competent enough to multi-task in the kitchen, you can boil the pasta while making the sauce and shave a few minutes of prep time. Drain.
- Mix pasta with sauce, and pour into a lightly butter Pyrex baking dish.
- Some people like to mix fine breadcrumbs with melted butter for the topping, and/or sprinkle on additional cheese. Sprinkle the top with paprika, then bake about 30 minutes, until crispy and golden on top.
Black Bean Quinoa
1 package of dry Quinoa
1 chopped onion
One can vegetable broth
2 chopped bell peppers
1 cup of frozen corn kernels
2 cans of black beans
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and sauté until lightly browned. Stir in peppers.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, chili pepper, adobo, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer twenty minutes.
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about five minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans.